Dates, deadlines and fees
The examinations of the Association of Average Adjusters are held in late January/early February (F4), March (All modules except F4) and October (A1 & A2 only) each year. Exam booking will open approximately three months before the exam date; members will be advised by email that the bookings are open.
Module A1: The Marine Insurance Act 1906, the Insurance Act 2015 and related principles of insurance
Module A2: Hull and Cargo claims
Module F1: General Average, Salvage, and Carriage of Goods by Sea
Module F2: Hull & Machinery, Loss of Hire, War Risks, Cargo
Module F3: Collisions, Recoveries, Freight
Module F4: Practical adjustment paper
Please note that the syllabuses for all Modules* were last reviewed and updated in October 2021. The changes made to the (previous) January 2020 versions are highlighted for the convenience of Candidates.
* There is no syllabus for Module F4
- It is a requirement for candidates taking Fellowship modules to have passed their Associateship and to have a paid-up subscription.
- An Associate will become a Senior Associate upon passing Module F1 plus either Module F2 or Module F3.
- Upon becoming a Senior Associate, a candidate must pass the remaining Module (F2 or F3) in order to be eligible to sit Module F4.
- The Fellowship qualification is awarded to candidates who pass all four F-level Modules.
Current examination dates and fees
Please note that the Association is a not-for-profit organisation. The fees for the examinations are intended to cover costs only.
The examination fees are reviewed periodically and will be released when bookings open for each exam session. Currently Associate modules are charged at £300 per module, F1, F2 and F3 at £300 (£400 for overseas candidates) and F4 at £450 (£550 for overseas candidates). Any invigilation/exam centre costs are payable locally by the candidate.
All exam fees should be paid 6 weeks prior to the exam date; for the exams scheduled 18/19 October, that is 6/7 September 2023. The Association reserves the right to impose a cancellation charge in the event of late cancellation being:
- 50% if cancelled between 42 and 28 days before the exam
- 100% if cancelled 28 days before the exam
- 100% in the case of non-attendance.
All applications to sit the exams are subject to the Association of Average Adjuster’s Terms and Conditions. Copies are also available on request.
Modules A1 and A2 will be held on a virtual platform (the guidelines issued in October 2021 covering IT requirements etc can be downloaded from this page) . For those exams to be held in-person, arrangements will be made for candidates based in the UK to sit the examinations in London and Liverpool. Arrangements will also be made for overseas candidates to sit the examinations in Athens, Hong Kong and Singapore. Exam sittings in other centres can be arranged. In all cases candidates may be asked to pay the exam centre’s local charges in addition to the basic examination fees (see above).
Note: All candidates are required to be, or to become, Subscribers to the Association.. Please visit Join the Association and complete the form which will automatically be sent to the Administration Department of the AAA.
Applications & Deadlines
The deadlines for applications will be as follows:
- For the F4 exam the deadline is 30 November of the previous year
- For the October 2023 exams the deadline is 23 August 2023
All prospective candidates are requested to download and complete the Application Form and email it to both the Secretary and to the Associations Secretariat as follows:
- Ann Waite: [email protected] (contactable on +44 7788 145407)
- AAA Secretariat: [email protected]